Basque Country Wine Tasting & Winery Visit near San Sebastian
Taste the Basque countryside as you explore gorgeous mountain vineyards and local cheese farms on this incredible San Sebastian day trip!
- Visit a traditional Basque farmhouse and sample award-winning Idiazabal cheese
- Explore the mountainous coastline, and discover the history of the coastal watchtowers and forts
- Visit Hondarribia—a medieval fishing village and castle known for its local wine production
- Exclusive tour of a family-owned winery, where you’ll learn about the origins of txakoli production
- Taste various wines accompanied with delicious pintxos
- Enjoy a traditional Basque lunch in the countryside with incredible mountain views
- Award-winning organic Idiazabal cheese
- “Gilda” the original pintxo and a local favorite“Gilda”—the original pintxo and a local favorite
- Txakoli stewed sausage
- Iberian ham
- “Piquillo” peppers stuffed with tuna
- Cod omelette
- Grilled T-bone steak with fried potatoes and salad
- Torrija with vanilla ice cream
- Basque Cider
- White txakoli wine
- Saignée Rosé txakoli wine
- White aged txakoli wine
- Sparkling white txakoli wine
What to Expect on Your Tour
This unforgettable cheese and winery tour near San Sebastian will take you into the lush, green Pyrenees Mountains where you’ll embark on a journey exploring the rural Basque countryside. Throughout the day, you’ll meet an award-winning organic cheese producer, explore a medieval castle and the traditional fishing village surrounding it, and visit a stunning family-owned winery that produces the unique local Basque wine, txakoli. After a morning of discoveries, you’ll sit down to a 5-course countryside lunch! Get ready to dive into the elegance and charm of the Basque Country on this fantastic day trip from San Sebastian!
STOP BY STOP:
Start off the morning by meeting your expert local guide and fellow wine-lovers in centrally located Plaza de Gipuzkoa, where you’ll board your private transport. On the way to to the beautiful Basque countryside surrounding San Sebastian, your guide will fill you in on the history of the area, and what to expect throughout the day!
In no time at all, you’ll have made it to the first stop, which is one of the area’s top local producers of D.O. Idiazabal cheese. Get a first-hand look at the award-winning organic cheese production that takes place in this region as you tour this beautiful farm. The owner of the farm will explain the key to making delicious cheese, and you will enjoy an exclusive cheese tasting in his personal cheese cellar!
Next, you’ll enjoy picturesque views of ocean waves crashing into the rugged mountainside as you make the journey up Jaizkibel Mountain and on to Hondarribia, a medieval fishing village. Your guide will help you explore this picturesque town, visiting the local castle and discovering the unique history and origins of txakoli.
Finally, you will be taken back into the beautiful Basque countryside to a family-owned and -operated txakoli winery where you will visit their cellars and learn the ins-and-outs of local wine production. Afterwards, you will enjoy an exclusive tasting of their wines, accompanied by a typical Basque aperitif on the bodega terrace.
And finally, it’s time to sit down to a traditional Basque lunch in the winery’s beautiful restaurant! Specializing in local, seasonal products, your 5-course meal will be accompanied by local wines and the incredible views of the vineyards and surrounding mountains!
After lunch, you’ll be feeling relaxed, full and enlightened, making it the perfect time for your private transport to take you back to San Sebastian.
And as with all Devour San Sebastian tours, your guide will give you a copy of our Devouring San Sebastian guide, which is packed with all our favorite places to eat and drink in the city! So put down your guidebook and get ready to experience San Sebastian like a local!
About Our Expert GuidesMeet them here!
Map Your Tour
Visit the beautiful Basque countryside, as well as the quaint medieval fishing village of Hondarribia.